Concealer is a cosmetic used to cover skin imperfections such as blemishes, dark circles, and wrinkles. It is applied after foundation and before powder. Concealers come in liquid, cream, or stick form and can be found in different shades depending on one’s skin tone. The key to a successful concealer application lies in the proper preparation of the skin and using the right products for the job.
What is the Best Way to Approach Concealer Application?
There are a few steps that you need to take to guarantee a successful concealer application, from cleansing your face to choosing the best formula for your skin type. Here is a closer look at the steps of concealer application to guarantee success!
1. Prepare Your Skin
To get the best results, always start with a clean face that is free from any leftover skincare products or oils. If you have dry skin, apply a light moisturizer to hydrate the area and create a smooth canvas for your concealer.
2. Choose the Right Concealer
For under eyes, it’s important to go one shade lighter than your foundation in order to brighten up the area and create a natural-looking finish. For blemishes and other imperfections, select a concealer that matches your natural skin tone exactly.
3. Apply Concealer Correctly
Using an applicator brush or sponge, gently dab on concealer in targeted areas like blemishes, dark circles, and wrinkles. Blend outwards until the concealer is evenly distributed and there are no harsh lines. For under eyes, start at the inner corner and work your way outwards.
Depending on the type of concealer used, there are different ways of applying it. If using liquid or cream concealers, use your fingers or a damp beauty blender to dab the product onto any areas needing coverage such as dark circles, blemishes, and wrinkles. For stick formulae, use a brush or your fingertips to blend it outwards until the concealer is evenly distributed.
4. Set Concealer with Powder
To ensure that your hard work doesn’t go to waste, it’s important to set your concealer with a translucent powder. This will prevent creasing, smudging, and fading throughout the day. If you want more coverage, you can also layer on a second coat of concealer after setting it with powder.
5. Re-Apply as Needed Throughout the Day if Necessary
This will help ensure that your makeup looks great all day long! Just like with any other makeup application, practice makes perfect. With a few tries, you will surely master the technique of applying concealer.
Additional Tips For Successful Concealer Application
While the tips above are a great starting point for any successful concealer application, there are a few additional tips to take your standard concealer game to another level.
Always use a clean brush or sponge when applying concealer to avoid dirt and bacteria buildup.
- For maximum coverage, apply a second layer of concealer over any areas that need more coverage after setting with powder.
- If you don’t have the right shade of concealer, you can mix two different shades together to get the perfect hue for your skin tone.
- To ensure that your makeup looks natural and doesn’t cake, blend the edges of the concealer outwards into your foundation instead of layering it on top.
- If needed, add a touch of highlight to brighten up dull areas such as underneath the eyes and around the nose before adding powder. This will create a natural-looking glow and make the area look more awake.
- Avoid using concealer on large areas of the face as this can appear cakey and heavy. Instead, focus on concealing specific blemishes and dark circles.
Luxury Makeup Services in Atlanta, GA
With these tips in mind, you should have no problem achieving flawless results when it comes to applying concealer every time! With practice and patience, you’ll be able to master the art of concealing in no time.
If you’re looking to glam up your look for a special day or event, Touched by T is the expert for you! With our range of luxury makeup services, you can’t go wrong. Contact us today to book your appointment and we’ll have you looking your best!